Friday 6 March 2015

Messi Eater

Welcome to your slightly delayed 98th Football Circus. This week we feature a goalkeeper who has packed it all in for a rather unusual vocation. We also check out Lionel Messi's apparent pizza addiction and Ronaldinho is showing off his bling. Tensions are rising in Liverpool as Mario Balotelli looks to be throwing his toys out of the pram, while Pippo Inzaghi's job is under threat in Italy...






Torquay Keeper Quits Football to become Used Car Salesman
A career as a professional footballer never lasts forever and when a player decides it's time to call it a day, he will more often than not have a difficult time trying to figure out what to go on to next. Many will become managers or coaches; Others venture into the media and become pundits. Then there are those who take the less traveled roads. 
Take Torquay United goalkeeper Jordan Seabright for example, who has quit the game at just 20 to become a used car salesman.
Seabright spoke to BBC and explained the unusual decision:
"If I’m honest, I fell out of love with the game, I didn’t really enjoy it any more.
"I didn’t see myself going anywhere and I want to have a career and be successful.
"It wasn’t a lack of ambition in football, but it was a good opportunity for me come home and work in a good environment.
"I have to think about myself, I want to be successful and I didn’t see myself doing that in football.
"I didn’t see myself being a Championship ‘keeper or Premier League goalkeeper or League One to be honest.
"It wasn’t a lack of confidence, I was being realistic. I didn’t really enjoy it so I thought now was the right time, I had to be honest with Torquay".

Fat Messi? Barca Star Form Dip blamed on Pizza, while Di Maria Too Ugly
Former Barcelona coach Carles Rexach has this week claimed to have found the reason behind Lionel Messi's 2014 "dip in form". Scoring a paltry 58 goals in the calendar year, Messi was seen to have gone off the boil slightly, being pipped for the Balon d'Or award by fierce rival Cristiano Ronaldo. The reason, according to Rexach? Pizza.
Rexach told Regio7:
"Before he would eat at the club and then rest afterwards.
"But it seems to me that last year Messi ate more pizzas than he wanted or needed".
Ironically, the 'revelation' comes days after Messi himself tweeted a photo of the Lional Messi pizza available from the Bella Napoli restaurant in Glasgow.

Rexach also told the station that he believed Real Madrid offloaded Angel Di Maria for being too ugly:
"Florentino Perez looks at the world market and wants a team of Galacticos for everyone to admire. Do you understand what I mean?
"Ronaldo is the flagship of the club. Perez is selling an international brand. Vicente del Bosque and Di Maria are too ugly for Real Madrid. They are different from Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez".
We sincerely hope that Mr. Rexach has more audacious allegations for us to report on in the very near future.

Ronaldinho Names All Time Champions League Eleven
Ronaldinho is almost as well known at this stage for his playboy lifestyle as he is for his surpeme football talent. He this week posted an Instagram photo of a €55,000 Audemars Piguet watch, given to him by basketball legend Lebron James. He commented:
"I love this gift! Limited series watch from my bro LeBron James. Thanks my friend!".
Bloody show off! 
Meanwhile, speaking to the Daily Mail, the Brazilian great has named his all time Champions League eleven. There are a few surprises:
GK: Gianluigi Buffon; "There have been some very good goalkeepers in my era, but Buffon is there for consistency. Most of the goalkeepers have had times when their form has not been so good, but Buffon has been at such a high level for so long".
RB: Cafu; "You don’t become the most capped player in Brazil’s history, without being very special. I was so happy when he finally won the Champions League with Milan, for the best right back ever not to win the biggest club trophy would not be right".
CB: John Terry; "We had some big Champions League games against Chelsea, and I could see then why John Terry is still so important for them now. He is very tough to play against, but he is a fantastic leader, the leader you need in those sorts of games".
CB: Paolo Maldini; "He was one of the best defenders in Champions League history, but what was so impressive about him is that when he was on the ball he didn’t look like a defender, but like an elegant midfield player".
LB: Roberto Carlos;  "Would be worth having in any team for his ability to take free kicks, but as well as being one of the best free kick takers ever, he is also one of the finest left backs ever. So important to all of Real Madrid’s Champions League wins".
CM: Claude Makelele; "Defenders feel safe knowing that he is ahead of them, the attackers feel safe knowing he is behind them, for me he is the best I have ever seen doing the job of protecting the defence. You never saw him play a bad game".
CM: Frank Lampard; "I told Frank Rijkaard that we (Barcelona) should sign him, but he didn’t want to leave Chelsea. I am sure they would not have let him go, at that time he was one of the greats in Europe. His goal record from midfield was what really impressed me".
CM: Kaka; "Things did not work out for Kaka as well as expected at Madrid, but we must not forget the player at Milan who was the real Kaka. For two, maybe three seasons he was the best player in the world, there was nothing he couldn’t do".
FW: Lionel Messi; "I have won everything, it is impossible for me to have regrets. I do wish though that I could have played with Messi for longer than I did at Barcelona. There are no words to describe him; he just has magic in his feet".
FW: Thierry Henry; "My good friend who I played with at Barcelona, and there was even a chance that we nearly played together again in New York. Just a nightmare for defenders, was quick, had skill, and was strong".
FW: Ronaldo; "He was my idol and then I end up playing and winning a World Cup with him. The most complete striker there has ever been, the most complete striker there will ever be, it is almost unbelievable to think that he never won the Champions League".

What's Mad Mario Upto this Week?
Super Mario is not a happy camper this week. After failing to make the starting lineup for the team's mid week clash with Burnley, Balo posted an Instagram photo accompanied by the message:
"Someone doesn't Like me But differently of what they say about me im a team player and im so proud of my team,of this win and of these fans! let's keep going. bravi ragazzi!!! YNWA !!!".
The comment has been interpreted as a dig at manager Brendan Rodgers. Balo's agent Mino Raiola however, has told RMC that he believes Rodgers is pushing Balotelli, which is not a bad thing:
"Right now, I think Mario has a very interesting development for his career.
"He has found a coach who asks of him things that had never been requested of him until now, including the discipline of running without the ball.
"This allows him to grow as a person and as a football player. He’ll come out even stronger.
"He is proud of his team and that is the most important".

Italian Football Story of Week
- Inzaghi Reacts to Tassotti Rumours
Talk was rife this week in Italy that AC Milan manager Filippo Inzaghi will soon be replaced by Mauro Tassoti as the Rossoneri flounder in 10th place in Serie A. Inzaghi has come out fighting however and in his press conference ahead of Milan's clash with Verona, the former striker stated:
"Results lead to these comments.
"Sometimes I’m saddened to read things like those about Tassotti, which are false.
"I wanted him at Milan, we talk often. I’m strong, I don’t care about attacks on me. Even though it’s been corrected, it was nevertheless written.
"Mauro is an extraordinary person, I battled for a month to get him to join me.
"On the technical side of things I accept everything, and I want to prove you all wrong.
"I have to be evaluated for my results. My dream is to give so much to Milan, I feel the affection of the club.
"They’re good, they make me work calmly. Whatever the choice in June, Milan will always be in my heart, but I’d like to stay here for 20 years.
"To be a Coach is a great thing, and I’ll do it for many years. I’m thankful for criticism, it encourages me to do my job better. You can always learn.
"I hope I never get sacked, but all Coaches go through that. I’m convinced I can do well, I’m just thinking about giving the fans and the President some great wins".

Artist's Impression of the Week
- Messi Eater; Barca man's dip in form blamed on love of pizza. 

Football Recommendation of the Week
- Scoredraw.com; "The Score Draw brand is the leading supplier of official retro football shirts in the World".

Non-Football Recommendation of the Week
- Two Dots; Last year we recommended Dots, this year Two Dots has proven to be possibly even more addictive than its predecessor.

Don’t forget you can follow us on Twitter @footballcircus or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Football-Circus/418804204906352 You can also contact us at footballcircus@gmail.com. 

No comments :

Post a Comment